Sunday, April 26, 2009

Eagle Eye

Over the weekend I finally caught up with the film Eagle Eye - featuring Shia LaBeouf, Michelle Monaghan and Billy Bob Thornton. I first saw the trailer late last summer but for some reason missed the film when it came to my local cinema.

For those that haven't seen the film the story focuses on two characters Jerry Shaw (LaBeouf) and Rachel Holloman (Monaghan) - strangers who are thrown together and forced to follow instructions from a mysterious female voice on the telephone. Their journey eventually takes them to the Pentagon, pursued by agents of the FBI led by Billy Bob Thornton.

Whether the two lead characters are travelling by train, fleeing the authorities by car or planning to disobey their instructions the female voice on the phone seems to be one step ahead of them.

I'm not giving too much away when I say that the core theme of this film is 'big brother
is watching us' - monitoring our calls, tracking our whereabouts from our mobile phone signal, reading our emails and so on.

I felt there were good performances from LaBeouf, Monaghan, Thornton and the supporting cast and that the dialogue was generally ok but overall the storyline left me unsatisfied - not quite a hi-tech thriller, not quite a supernatural thriller.


I'm a big fan of conspiracy stories and have to say there have been a number of films
released over the years that I think are better - Enemy of the State, Conspiracy Theory, Mercury Rising ...

Disappointing.


0 comments: