Saturday, June 6, 2009

Preacher: Gone to Texas

A friend recently lent me all 9 collected volumes of the graphic novel Preacher: I finished the first collection - Preacher: Gone to Texas, which contains issues 1 to 7 of the monthly series - at the end of this week and I think I enjoyed it!

The books foreword explains that Preacher is 'part western, part crime story, part horror story, and partly just £%$&ed-up strange' and I think this sums up the book perfectly - particularly the '£%$&ed-up strange' part! The story features reverend Jesse Custer, a tough Texas preacher struggling to refind his faith, and who is possessed by a mysterious entity known as Genesis — a force with God-like powers. Accompanying Jesse throughout are Tulip O'Hare, his former girlfriend, and Cassidy, a 100-year-old Irish vampire.

As I say, I 'think' I enjoyed the book - it's a good story although at times I thought the bad language and violence was a little over the top whilst the artwork was good although it didn't, for me, have the wow-factor (again, none of this is meant as criticism, just personal preference).

I'll certainly carry on with the series and I have a feeling the style of both the writing and the art will grow on me with each page I read.

Publisher Vertigo, as part of their After Watchmen promotion, are offering a pdf download of issue #1.

Preacher: Gone to Texas by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, published by Vertigo, 1995.

0 comments: