Friday, June 19, 2009

Surrogates



My friend 'R' sent me a link to the trailer for a new film called Surrogates which is due for release in the UK this September. The film, which stars Bruce Willis, is set in the near future where humans live in isolation and only interact through robotic bodies that serve as surrogates.

When several humans are murdered when their surrogates are destroyed, a policeman (Willis) investigates the crimes through his own surrogate. After a near fatal encounter, Willis's surrogate is destroyed and this forces him to come out of isolation, enter the real world and unravel the conspiracy behind the crimes.

A little research tells me the film is an adaptation of the comic book series The Surrogates, that was originally published by Top Shelf Productions in 2005/2006. A second volume - The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone - is to be published in July 2009.

I'd not been aware of either the books or the film and I must say I think the 'surrogate' concept looks very interesting. Thanks 'R'.

0 comments: