Wednesday, May 20, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 'Kicks 11 Kinds of Ass'*

At the weekend I went to the cinema to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd heard one or two negative comments about the film - one commentator that I respect even said that he was 'embarrassed that was the best they could do' - and as much as I tend to ignore reviews before I see a film I was a little apprehensive going into the cinema.

I haven't read a lot of Wolverine so I won't be able to comment with any authority about how closely the story follows Wolverine/X-Men continuity but I thought it was generally pretty well written and well paced with a good blend of action-packed and light-hearted moments, and I don't think there was a bad performance from any of the cast although we were treated to some of the worst CGI I've seen in a long time in one scene!

In its hour and three quarters running time the film covers a lot of story - from Wolverine's childhood through to present day and his battles with assorted mutant-assasins. Along the way, we are introduced to a number of familiar characters from X-Men history and I'd like to see some of these explored in any future Origins films: Cyclops, Wraith, Emma Frost and particularly Gambit.

As I say, in some quarters the film has taken a bit of a knock but I can't help but feel that these people just have too high expectations. It must be a thankless task creating a film from a book or character that people really love, as is certainly the case with Wolverine and X-Men, and perhaps try as the creators will such people will never be satisfied (and I don't mean that to sound a criticism of either party you understand). It's not a film that will change your life ... but then would you expect it to be?

If I personally had any criticism of the film - aside from that one piece of CGI! - it would be that maybe too much was crammed into 100 or so minutes. Or, put another way, perhaps the film could have ran for longer: I guess that'll be the director's cut DVD then?

So would I recommend it - yes, definitely. Is it as good as Dark Knight or Iron Man - probably not. It was, however, a couple of hours of good entertainment, certainly best first seen at the cinema and then own on DVD. Let me know what you think.

*
Skottie Young speaking on '11 o'Clock Comics' 09/05/09

0 comments: