Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Batman Doc Savage Special

Last week I picked up the Batman/Doc Savage Special one-shot without really knowing too much about it aside from 1) I'm currently enjoying the other Bat books I'm reading and 2) it's written by Brian Azzarello and has art by Phil Noto: two creators I admire.

The story features a young and somewhat arrogant Bruce Wayne in the early months of his 'reign' as Batman. Curiously Gotham itself appears both a modern and yet traditional city. The issue also features a young Jim Gordon who, at this time, sees Batman as a menace, most definitely not an ally. Cars appear to be from the 1940s or 50s, Doc Savage, featured as something of a Hollywood matinee idol, pilots his own gyrocopter, we see and reference the city airship station and at the same time, we see a stretch limousine and mobile phones.

And did I mention Batman carries two Colt .45 caliber semi-automatic weapons?

This one-shot issue is something of a preview for the forthcoming new ongoing Batman series First Wave due in Spring 2010. Also featured in the book are a number of 'character profile' pages including art from Rags Morales and narration from Azzarello.

I'll give this book a full review in due course but if you see it on the shelf and fancy a Batman story that's a little different then pick it up - the writing is superb and the art fantastic.

Batman Doc Savage Special: Bronze Night
Written by Brian Azzarello with art by Phil Noto
Sketchbook material and variant cover by Rags Morales
Cover by JG Jones
Published by DC Comics, 56 pages, $4.99

More details along with preview pages at http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=13384


While on the subject of Batman, I've blogged before about my enjoyment of The Batman Universe podcast and online content. I'm extremely pleased to announce that The Batman Universe will be carrying my Batgirl reviews over at their Editorials blog. As I said before, the regular contributors to The Batman Universe really know their stuff and their enthusiasm for Batman comes across in their written and spoken words, and I'm very happy to be contributing.

More details at the website and the editorials blog.

0 comments: