Thursday, February 4, 2010

First Wave #1

This one very nearly passed me by - DC's The Source recently published a number of fantastic black and white interior pages, along with a number of very nice sketch pages ahead of the launch of the first issue of their new title First Wave.

First Wave ...

... an Earth very much like our own, but featuring a collection of pulp and noir heroes that include the Batman, the Spirit, Doc Savage, Black Canary and many more.

In the shadows of the War, the roots of the Golden Tree cabal grew deep into the heart of a fallen world and the leaders at the heart of this secret organization see no place in their utopia for heroism. Doc Savage, struggling with the loss of his father, has been blind to their advance – until now. Central City’s mysterious Spirit has caught wind of their plans as well. But whose side have the Blackhawks chosen? What is the Red Right Hand? And where is the Batman? Eisner Award winner Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Joker) and superstar Rags Morales (Identity Crisis) craft a DC universe like you’ve never seen before. It’s a world with no supermen, only mortal men. Death can come at any moment, and adventure can still be found at every corner of the map.

[Source]

Click here to see all of the preview pages.

A couple of months ago I wrote about how much I had enjoyed the Batman Doc Savage Special that for me served as an excellent stand-alone story as well as a nice preview for the new series.

By rights this title would fall into my 'wait for the trade' category but ... I'm just not sure I can wait. The concept is intriguing, the Special was hugely enjoyable, this preview work looks fantastic - I know I'll be picking it up in single issues!

First Wave #1 is released on 3 March.

0 comments: