Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Darkness Falls Over Exeter: Top Cow Creators at the Exeter Comic Expo 2010

You might remember that a week or so ago I attended the Exeter Comic Expo, organised by Mike and his team at Fantasy Events UK, which was held at the four star Mercure Hotel in Exeter city centre, Devon.

Fantasy Events UK have a great track record organising such events having promoted the annual Bristol International Comic and Small Press Expo for a number of years so I went along with high expectations ... and I wasn't disappointed.

Alongside a wealth of local and national dealers - including Krackers, Reed Comics, Funky Monkey - were a number of very special guest creators.

As a fan of the Top Cow Universe I was very excited at the prospect of meeting writer and artist David Hine and artist Matt Timson.





I've long-since been a fan of David Hine's writing and was grateful to speak with him for 10 minutes or so about his Daredevil: Redemption mini-series for Marvel a few years ago - which to this day is one of the most moving comic book stories I've read - the numerous Batman-family books he has written and continues to write for DC as well as his four-issue mini series for Top Cow the Four Horsemen.

The first two parts of this series have so far been published - issue #2 is in stores today in fact - and I've certainly enjoyed what I've read. It was interesting to discuss some of the plot points with Mr Hine and get a first hand insight into his particular writing process.

Likewise, I enjoyed an interesting, albeit briefer, conversation with artist Matt Timson after which I purchased an extremely limited edition A3 Darkness print, the proceeds from which were being donated to charity. While we chatted about his work Mr Timson was kind enough to sign the image which will shortly have pride of place on my wall.


Aside from bringing away some fantastic souvenirs of the day it really was my great pleasure to meet two such talented and likeable men.

More from my visit to Exeter to follow - the next Exeter Comic Expo will take place on Sunday 20 February 2011, again at the Mercure Hotel, as part of the annual Animated Exeter festival.

Links:
Top Cow
Fantasy Events UK
Animated Exeter
Matt Timson website, blog

0 comments: