Friday, May 15, 2009

X-Men Film Franchise Inconsistencies

No sooner had I launched this new blog that I received an email from one of my regular readers - known to me as SF - with comments around the film: X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The email reads as follows:

The new Wolverine film is said to show his early years as a child as he becomes the X-Man we now know as Wolverine and how we learnt to deal with his abilities, etc.

However, in the previous X-Men films they went to great pains to demonstrate that his adamantine skeleton was grafted to his skeleton as a fully grown man. Indeed they go further to imply that his mutant ability is the fact he can heal almost instantly and that the skeleton is a tehnological addition enabled due to his healing ability. In fact, I seem to remember at least one of the films the entire storyline revolved around his visit to the medical facility and his nemesis, all the time clutcthing his dog tags, which seemed to imply he was a soldier who was experimented on.

Now, I could live with the difference if it was say a different story arc. e.g. the comics have one version and the films take a different route, this is often the case and I have no problems with a different interpretation of the same story. What I do have a problem with is the same story arc changing stories half way through and trying to mash it together in a clumsy attempt to create a new film. I would say there is more than enough Wolverine lore around to create a number of gripping new films without destroying the established story lines of the films that we've been laid down.


Thanks for your contribution SF. As luck would have it I'm off to see the film tomorrow evening - I realise it's been out a couple of weeks now but I don't generally see a film on it's opening weekend as prefer to go when the cinema is a little quieter - and I'll post my thoughts on the film and comment on your observations shortly afterwards.

In the meantime, if any of our readers would like to post their own thoughts then please click on the 'comments' link below and post away. Thanks.

0 comments: