Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sean Phillips at the Bristol International Comic & Small Press Expo

If you're a regular visitor to Escape from Tomorrow you might remember my good fortune in discovering that Sean Phillips - Criminal, Sleeper, Marvel Zombies ... - had put a few copies of his book Incognito up for sale on Amazon and that each copy was to include an original character sketch of the buyers choice.

I asked for, as was very grateful to receive, a magnificent sketch of Ava Destruction along with the artist's signature on one of the inside front pages.

However, and at the risk of sounding ungrateful, I later regretted that I didn't have something to hang on my wall alongside the one or two other convention sketches that I own. So when I saw that Mr Phillips was appearing at the Bristol International Comic & Small Press Expo I spotted my opportunity - with comic backing-board in hand I took my place in the long queue for a sketch and waited my turn ...


So now I've got the best of both worlds I think - a unique book and a beautiful piece of original art that I can hang on my wall: each featuring one of my favourite comic-book characters Ava Destruction.

In my final look back to the Bristol Expo I'll be taking a look at one of my favourite smaller publishers that are always in attendance at the show -
Markosia Enterprises.

0 comments: